Another month has whizzed by but unlike the past couple of months, I’ve actually managed to make this month’s garment in time for the end of the month!
This month was the Califaye Collection Pocket Skirt. The fabric I used was a remnant I got from a charity shop, which fitted the lightweight woven fabric suggestion on the pattern.
Despite a minor disagreement with the concealed zip (my second concealed zip ever!) and a brief moment of confusion near the end, it was fine.
It was great to be able to use something from my stash for this Month’s pattern, especially as I don’t wear many skirts and I wouldn’t like to fork out on more fabric for something I may not wear much. However, I will have to see if this skirt changes my view on wearing them! Like the other Sew My Style makes, it’s a comfy pattern, although that may be because I didn’t adjust the elastic…
- Pattern name: Pocket skirt
- Variation/Style: N/A
- Design House; Califaye Collection
- Size I made: L
A dark blue/navy lightweight woven from a charity shop. It feels like it’s cotton or cotton blend.
The fabric was a nice sturdy yet lightweight fabric, so it was easy to control. It was easy to cut out and extend the length. The main challenge is inserting the zip!
I found the instructions very clear until I got to the part where the elastic is initially attached. I’m not sure whether it was just me getting a bit tired though as this is the only part where I felt that the directions did not make much sense. I ended up doing what I thought needed to be done and it has worked out fine.
It fits okay but I haven’t yet decided whether the elastic needs to be tightened a little as I’m not sure it sits on my waist. I did it exactly as the pattern stated though, and despite this little adjustment I wouldn’t need to do anything else. I’m going to see how it goes and decide whether to make this adjustment.
I added about 3 inches to this pattern as I don’t like wearing short dresses or skirts. This skirt is probably one of the shortest ones I own despite lengthening it!
It’s a nice design. The pockets are big and roomy, and the elastic in the back waistband provides comfort without crinkling the front waistband.
I lost count with this one. It was a quick one to cut out, but it took me a couple of days to get it finished.
It’s a skirt pattern with lovely pockets which works well with plain or patterned fabrics. I don’t wear a lot of skirts so I’m not planning on making another currently. However, I haven’t given it a proper test run so I will have to provide an update once it’s been worn a few times.